The Leada Acrow Story
Leada Acrow provides an innovative formwork solution for use on over 40 structures as part of the construction of the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route, a major transport infrastructure project at the heart of the Scottish Government’s commitment to improve transport in Aberdeen and across the north east of Scotland.
Leada Acrow works with MEVA on a major project, - the re-development of Battersea Power Station, to produce a solution utilising MGC, MEVA climbing system, radius and Mammut.
2013 – 2014
A-Plant revives the Leada brand and changes the name from A-Plant Acrow back to Leada Acrow. Leada Acrow signs a deal to become the UK’s sole supplier of MEVA formwork systems for hire.
2000 – 2013
Further MEVA products are added to the fleet, notably the EcoAs panel system and the shoring system MEP. Several major contracts are won including the Katrine Water Project in Scotland and Aberthaw Power Station in South Wales.
Ashtead Plant Hire Company Limited acquires Leada Acrow and forms A-Plant Acrow.
1984 – 1996
Leada Acrow grows rapidly following the introduction of the first large formwork panel system, Mammut formwork, into the UK from the German provider MEVA. Leada Acrow becomes the UK agent for all MEVA systems.
1980 – 1984
There are further acquisitions and development of products such as the revolutionary octagonal crane jib by Coles Cranes. Recession in the construction industry leads to the sale of worldwide divisions to become independent in their home countries. All of these are still in business today, many still trading under the Acrow name. Acrow Engineers (Formwork and Scaffolding) is acquired by Leada Ltd which forms the company Leada Acrow Ltd, a division of the HAT Group.
1969 – 1970
Acrow acquires the Steel Group and wins the Queen’s Award for Export Achievement. Factories open in New Zealand and Essex, England. The De Vigier housing estate is built to house the workforce. Worldwide sales top the £100 million mark.
1960 – 1969
Acrow India and Spain are established. The Acrow workforce exceeds 3,000.
1950 – 1959
Operations open in Argentina, Australia, Peru, Zimbabwe, Iraq and Hong Kong. Acrow moves to new headquarters in London.
1940 – 1949
During the war years, the factory produced aircraft engine mounts, gun carriers and parts for Sherman tanks. The first overseas company is established in Johannesburg, South Africa and the Acrow Corporation of America is founded in New Jersey.
Acrow is registered as a company and starts trading in Bow, London. The company is named after the traditional Acrow Prop, itself named after Mr Arthur Crow, the solicitor who formed the company. Acrow outgrows its original facility and moves to a ‘modern’ works and warehouse facility in Slough. The company’s first Service Centre opens in Bristol.